Sunday, November 23, 2014

Introducing the CASL Community

As the results from the CASL Strategic Planning Survey start to come in, I find myself meeting the CASL community in a new way. As you know, CASL has been my home for many (many!) years and I deeply value our students, staff, and faculty and the amazing education we make possible here. But now I get to see you in a new way – in the passion you have for CASL, the concerns you struggle with, and in the hopes and visions you have for what we can become.

Here are just a few of your comments that I have found heartening:

• CASL represents tolerance, debate, and imaginative innovation.
• It's one of the few educational options that surround words, thoughts and concepts, rather than numbers, formulas and algorithms. Some, such as myself, work in concepts and ideas, rather than absolutes, and CASL offers strong educational paths for people like this.
• My CASL education provided me with the foundation to be successful in business, industry associations, and the extended UM community. My multi-discipline UM-Dearborn education allowed me to adapt to the changing world and to function in a global society.
• I really value the small class size, which leads to fantastic opportunities for complex discussions in class.
• CASL is my home and a place where I have made my career. I care deeply about its students and their success after they leave the University.
• Done well, a liberal arts education and foundation can help produce compassionate, empathetic, well-grounded, open-minded and thoughtful citizens - who can help bring about a better world. That is my constant prayer as I work with other faculty and teach students.

Join the conversation. The CASL Strategic Planning survey is open through Wednesday, December 3, 2014. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CASLCommSPSurveyB

No comments:

Post a Comment